Sunday, April 14, 2013

F/stop Explained

                
F/stop Explained

Understanding F/stop and aperture is essential if you want to get the most out of your SLR camera so bear with me as I will try to explain it to you in the simplest way I possibly can.

First you will have to remember that the lower F/stop is, for example 1.2/f the more light will get through the lens onto the sensor therefore allowing you to photograph in lower light, and higher f/stop for example 4.5/f will allow less light to get through the lens. I know… that sounds pretty confusing

-Why lower number means more light and higher less? Let me explain.

F/stop is a ratio between the diameter of the aperture and the lens focal length.  So for example on 50mm Lens f/2 says that aperture diameter is 25mm (50mm/2=25mm) and f/4 would say that is is 12.5 mm (50mm/4=12.5mm) now imagine that aperture is a window  through which light gets onto a sensor. Which door will allow more light 25wide big or 12.5 mm wide?

So F stands for?  F stands for Focal length which is measured in millimeters (mm)
And Stop is because  each number is a STOP in doubling/halving  sequence

f/1.4  f/2.0  f/2.8  f/4  f/5.6  f/8  f/11  f/16  f/22
Aperture
Aperture

As always I hope that I gave you enough information to inspire you to learn more, experiment and have fun with photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment